In an effort to contribute, or put our fingerprint, on the global "green" effort, we did a tremendous amount of research. What we found was rather shocking:
- Recent studies show that each diner user over 2.5 paper napkins per meal.
- Estimated usage is over 160 billion paper napkins in the U.S. annually.
- This is equivalent to the destruction 34 million trees annually and 4 billion lbs. of paper waste in our landfills.
- Waste paper comprises over 68% of community landfill space.
So the question we asked ourselves was,"how can we assist our partners and communities in reducing this tremendous burden on our environment?" When you consider that studies have found that 78% of diners prefer cloth napkins over paper and 79% of all consumers are more likely to dine at a restaurant that is environmentally friendly than those that are not, it made our decision easy… find an environmentally friendly and economically sound alternative to the traditional paper napkin.
The answer we found was the EnviroNapkin. The EnviroNapkin is a microfiber product that is absorbant and plush. It can be laundered over 75 times and requires less energy and water to wash while it does not require ironing either. So instead of using a traditional paper napkin which destroys trees and clogs our landfills, contemplate the environmentally and economically sound alternative, The EnviroNapkin.
Local laundry company cleaning up with Environmentally Friendly Napkins
New "EnviroNapkins™" help save trees, reduce landfill space and save money
Ridgeland, MS – October 7, 2010 – First Class Linen, LLC has announced the launching of their new "eco-friendly" product called the EnviroNapkin™. Targeting the millions of tons of paper napkin waste that end up in our community landfills every year, the EnviroNapkin™ offers restaurateurs the option of serving their customers a soft, absorbent cloth napkin at the cost per diner of paper napkins.
According to the National Restaurant Association restaurants across the U.S. will generate $580 billion in sales while providing over 70,000,000,000 meals and snacks in 2010. The vast majority of these meals will be served with paper napkins as a cost effective, environmentally-friendly cloth napkin has not been available until now. Studies show that over 2.5 paper napkins are used per diner generating an estimated 164,000,000,000 paper napkins and 20 million tons of napkin trash, going into U.S. landfills each year. First Class Linen hopes to help significantly reduce this effect by offering the EnviroNapkin™ as a cost effective alternative.
First Class Linen, LLC is a Ridgeland, MS based linen rental company that focusing primarily on the hospitality and food service industry in Central and North Mississippi and Southwestern Tennessee. Employing over 125 people, First Class Linen looks to increase revenues and employment through the success of their new "going green" product.
The response to the EnviroNapkin™ has been overwhelming. After only three weeks in the marketplace over 30,000 EnviroNapkins are being cleaned and delivered to area restaurants, schools and casinos each week. "The future couldn't be brighter" states company CEO Bert Rubinsky, "The EnviroNapkin is truly "game-changing". It is the most exciting product to hit our industry and our business in over three decades. We are extremely proud to have developed such an amazing item right here in Central Mississippi."
“You won't find a paper napkin anywhere in our house.
We are blessed to have discovered Environapkins. Stains are repelled and wash out easily. With a feel of luxury, the napkins are wrinkle free and need no ironing. Just throw them in the washing machine and use again & again. There is no extra room needed to wash the cloth napkins because they take little space in the washing machine.
So much better for the environment and if you try them, you will go back for more and be thrilled that you did!
Submitted by Honorine K. Weiss
I wanted to let you know how pleased we are so far with the EnviroNapkins! We have been using them for about a month now with our off-season retreat groups with great notice and great success!
Here are the things we like best about them:
• They look good! This is the first time we've used cloth napkins with our retreat business, and they are really classing up the joint. I am excited to see the reaction of our summer campers.
• They're easy to manage! We have had to alter our routine, which always takes some getting used to; but, we're getting the hang of rolling our flatware and putting it out in a new way.
• It's more sanitary! I've never been a big fan of people picking up their own fiatware - so many hands touching so many utensils. But, using the cloth napkin pre-rolled has eliminated that area of risk.
• We have less trash! Since eliminating paper napkins, the amount of trash we pull from the dining hall has dropped dramatically. Meals that used to produce 2-3 cans full of trash are now producing less than 1. And, when we start-up a composting program next summer, we could be virtually trash free, which would be amazing on so many levels!
We at the Jacobs Camp are proud to be among the first to use the Environapkin in our food service operation. Just a couple of months in use, and we are very pleased with the result - and so very, very pleased about being able to do a little bit more to help the planet.
Jonathan "J. C." Cohen, MAJCS/MSW Camp Director
URJ Henry S. Jacobs Camp 3863 Morrison Road Utica, Mississippi 39175
(601) 885-6042 (601) 885-6269 fax firstname.lastname@example.org www.jacobs.urjcamps.org ”
“Due to First Class Linen’s generous donation of table linens and kitchen products, the community of Mandeville, Louisiana was able to benefit from these environmentally friendly resources. We were given a variety of napkins, towels, oven mits, and wet mops, and everyone was excited to use the new products in their homes-for cleaning and welcoming guests. These products gave the community the opportunity to learn how to practice environmental sustainability with their friends and families.”
Education Fellow 2010-2012
Goldring/Woldenberg Institute of Southern Jewish Life
PO Box 16528
Jackson, MS 39236
Coming in February! FREE adult education webinars. Experience unique learning opportunities lead by ISJL staff from the comfort of your own home. Sign up here.